Thursday, October 14, 2010

Green Devil Face 4

This is going to be a review post, so if you don't like reviews you can fuck off.

All right, let's get this thing started. First, an introduction: Green Devil Face 4 is one in a series (duh) of products by James Edward Raggi IV of LotFP fame. He's got a lot of products worthy of praise but I only had like 5 bucks left in my paypal and decided this would be the best way to spend this was on some miscellaneous package of things that I will probably use for campaign inspiration. Oh, it's meant for use with older editions of D&D (BECMI, B/X, Moldvay/Cook/Mentzar, AD&D, S&W, LL and etcetera.)

The booklet begins with a new character class: the Knight of Science. I get a really dark Warhammery feel from this class, which, for me, is always a good thing; It also feels (to me, anyway) a lot like a paladin-alternative with a distinctive Raggi-esque weird fantasy feel added-on.


The second article is a sort of mini-dungeon, the Tower. It's generic enough that it could fit in with most campaigns, and is definitely a horror-style of adventure. I quite like it and will probably spring it on my pc's the next time I run a prep-less game. The only thing I wonder is why an evil empire would bother just setting up all these random things that *might* entice and harm people unless it's just evil for the sake of being a dick.

The new spells introduced run the gamut from awesome to kinda cop-out ish (IE the animate deads, army of one, the steal spells) to being something that I find pretty cool (vomit guts, bloodless, black blood). overall though, I think that even the less interesting spells will get used so it's mostly a taste gripe. The magic items are similarly a split between the two categories, with some being pretty cool (Candle of Ill Lumination, Book of Faust) but others are kinda lame (Basket of Bountiful harvest, Bag of Spirit Holding).

The random inn generator I can see a lot of potential use for, and it's probably among the best value you'll get out of this booklet.

The Wand of the Weird owns, no question to that.

The rest of the booklet is mostly mini-dungeons, a few that I've seen on various blogs (Zak's, for example.)  so I felt a little cheated there. Having it all collected in one place is cool, but it doesn't really offset the fact that it's out there for free on the internet. A bunch of this is still fairly useful for trap rooms in dungeons though, and I REALLY REALLY like the shaggy dog, however boring people may find it.

Overall, this pdf is worth the five bucks you'll shell out for it, and I would definitely reccomend it if you have the money sitting around and want to support more of Raggi's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment